Guest Blog Series: Srilata Remala

Srilata Remala is a nurse, philanthropist and parent based in Seattle, WA. These questions were developed by the team at MPS CARE in Nursing to learn more about Ms. Remala’s unique perspective as a nurse of color and philanthropist, and to shed light on the important links between nursing education, training and health outcomes for communities of color, and of the crucial need for anti-racism efforts within those spaces.

To make a gift to the Anti-Racism in Nursing Excellence fund, click below:

Donate Here

Srilata Remala | Cascade PBS News 

As a nurse who graduated from nursing school in December, what specific instances of racism have you witnessed or experienced that highlight the need for Anti-Racism initiatives in nursing?

I graduated in December 2023. It was always hard to find allies in the program (I had two professors of color). I routinely watched as students of color were treated differently to my white counter parts. When people of color advocated for themselves, they were seen as loud, rude and disrespectful. Meanwhile I watched, as my fellow students who were white, insult professors, make crude jokes, and act inappropriately with barely even a slap on the wrist. As students of color, we were not given the space to make mistakes. If we missed anything it felt like there was a spotlight on us. The person who was given our deans award at the end of the program routinely was disrespectful, and made students feel uncomfortable. Meanwhile, we had students of color, working multiple jobs, taking care of their families, and still showing up getting straight As but were passed off for the award. It’s such a good example of structural racism in nursing school and how it is designed to make students of colors feel like they are not enough.

The structure of the nursing profession isn’t optimized for the success of immigrants or individuals who are the first in their families to pursue higher education. Nursing school like most academia is falls into the traditional degree patters or paper writing and theory reading. There is little to no support for people who are non-English speakers. The NCLEX is not offered in other languages other than French, not even Spanish, because it prioritizes nurses who are fluent in English.

What are some key challenges in combating racism in nursing, and how do you see your contribution helping to overcome these challenges?

This is a very bold question, and I don’t have all the answers by any means but here are just a few of my thoughts based on my recent experience as a nurse:

1. Barriers to entry are so high. I was rejected from 4 nursing schools. My undergraduate GPA was terrible, but I had a 3.9 on my science pre-requisites and a master’s degree. None of that mattered. They only looked at my undergrad degree as a predictor of success. A degree I recived when I was 18 years old.
  2. Pay professors and preceptors better. Part of the vicious cycle in understaffing in nursing is the lack of professors, poor pay, and lack of preceptors. The professors of color in my program both worked two jobs. They would support us during 12-hour clinicals, and the next day go work a 12-hour clinical themselves. Sometimes even multiple shifts
  3. We need to diversify. The American nursing association reported the current nursing workforce is “80.6% White/Caucasian; 6.7% African American; 7.2% Asian; 0.5% American Indian/Alaskan Native; 0.4 Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander; 2.1% two or more races; and 2.5% other nurses. In addition, 5.6% of the RN workforce report their ethnicity as Hispanic”. (source). 80% white in a population where 40% of the people identify as people of color is not ok.
  4. Nursing students need to stop learning from old theories of nursing developed by people who perpetuated racism. There are SO many nurses of color, especially Black nurses, who have developed theories that are way more relevant to nursing today. I never learned about Harriet Tubman in nursing school-why was that?
  5. Enough with the DEI-related nurse courses or “health equity” courses. Let’s talk about health liberation and what that means to Black and Brown communities. A baseline of DEI should be taught during orientation. The purpose of nursing school should be to dive deeper. Where are the statistics worse for people of color? What conversations can we have as nurses that challenge the profession in hopes that outcomes are better for people of color?
  6. I work in a community health setting, and we often discuss how trauma, systemic oppression, and racism have contributed to poorer outcomes in Black and brown communities. As much as biological processes are important in understanding chronic conditions, there needs to be more of an emphasis and connection on the effects of systemic oppression on marginalized communities. A lot of patients fear the healthcare system understandably, as nurses it’s our job to ensure they feel safe and heard but to also acknowledge why they fear the system.

Can you share what motivated you to make a gift to support The Manning Price Spratlen Center for Anti-Racism and Equity in nursing?

The vision for the center was clear from the beginning and it was bold. Not many centers exist like The Manning Price Spratlen Center for Anti-Racism and Equity in nursing.

I personally was feeling defeated in my own experience of nursing school and felt like I needed to contribute back to make a change. Our family values education and we recognize the barriers in academia that prevent students of color from achieving degrees. Systemic oppression has created race gaps in education and inadvertently limited opportunities to succeed for students of color. We hope to be able to support students of color in their nursing journeys indefinitely by setting up this endowment. It’s a small drop in a large bucket and I hope more nurses continue to give back in ways they find meaningful.

How do you believe funding anti-racism efforts in nursing can positively impact outcomes for patients and the nurses who care for them?

Studies have shown that when people of color are served by nurses of color, the outcomes are significantly better.  Funding anti-racism work helps nurses move towards health liberation for our patient by putting resources where it’s needed. Funding anti-racism work in nursing is critical to the longevity of the field. We are seeing nurses leave in numbers, high burnout and job dissatisfaction. I know so many nurses who were vocal about racist experiences either for themselves or one of their patients experienced, and instead of the institution fixing the situation, the nurse was reprimanded. This has to stop and I think the only way to make it stop is by continuing to fund efforts such as research, to continually identify and quantify the effects racism and biases have on our overall health.

As a nurse yourself, what advice would you give to others who are passionate about addressing racism in healthcare but may not know how to get involved?

Nurses have tried to speak out against racism within large intuitions.  It can be held against them in many ways, in the form of hiring, public perception, and just overall self-esteem. Nurses need to band together better to combat racism. We all know that racism is a problem in healthcare, and we are most powerful in numbers as shown by the unions we have created. I think nurses have the power to transform healthcare in a way that has not been done before.

A dear friend of mine is currently a float ICU nurse in pediatrics. She is a mentor and an incredible advocate for kids and families of color. She’s been a nurse for 20+ years and in that time, has committed to leadership positions within her union, writing letters and walking the picket lines, and supporting new nurses through agreeing to precept and educate. On her off days she volunteers her time for various committees that are addressing racism within the institution she works in  and is committed to nursing in a way that I believe over time will make substantial change. I am so grateful to nurses like her because she knows the field needs to change and has devoted herself to trying to be a vector for change. She has use her power and privilege for change.

What do you hope readers will take away from your blog post about your journey and the importance of anti-racism efforts in nursing?

Nursing is a critical field. We are considered a lifeline in healthcare, and a key role that can help eliminate health disparities with proper training and care. I want people to understand that we still have lots of work to do, and there is still so much change that needs to happen.

We are an immigrant family; my sister is the only one that has graduated from UW MPA. We have set up 3 endowments at UW because we are really committed to success of students of color. If we as an immigrant family with deep ties in India continue to invest in our community and in ending the barriers related to systemic oppression in the United States, then what is holding other people back?

How do you see the role of education and advocacy intersecting in the fight against racism in nursing? How can individuals act in support?

When people say they have experienced racism, believe them. When patients say they are uncomfortable or scared, help them and be their voice.

Harriet Tubman said “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars, to change the world.” I think its important for every nurse to have the self-confidence and belief that existing in this profession can change the world for someone. As nurses, we hold so much power in change, to speak out when things aren’t ok, and to support patients in their journey of health.  All nurses matter and all nurses should feel empowered to have a voice.